The Getty Graduate Internship for international students in USA 2020.
The Getty Foundation invites graduate applications for her Graduate Internship for international students in the USA in the year 2020. The internship is offered in the four programs of the J. Paul Getty Trust—the J. Paul Getty Museum, the Getty Research Institute, the Getty Conservation Institute, and the Getty Foundation, as well as in Getty Publications—to students who intend to pursue careers in fields related to the visual arts. Training and work experience placements are available in areas such as curatorial, education, conservation, research, publications, information management, public programs, and grantmaking.
Internships opportunities are located at the Getty Center in Los Angeles or the Getty Villa in Malibu.
Value of Award
The value of the award for the Getty Graduate Internships for International Students in the USA includes the following:
- All positions are full-time for twelve months from September 14, 2020, to September 10, 2021.
- The grant amount is $30,000 for twelve months, plus $1,000 towards relocation expenses.
- Housing is not provided.
- Support for research travel is available for up to $2,500.
- Graduate Interns are eligible to enrol in the Getty’s health care plan.
- Grant funds may be subject to federal and state taxes and deductions.
To be eligible for the Getty Graduate Internships for International Students in the USA, take note of the following:
- Internships are open to students of all nationalities.
- Applicants must be: Students currently enrolled in a graduate program (Master of Arts (M.A.), Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), graduate conservation certificate, or their equivalents for international applicants) in a field relevant to the internship(s) for which they are applying. or Individuals who have completed a relevant graduate degree (Master of Arts (M.A.), Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), graduate conservation certificate, or their equivalents for international applicants) on or after January 1, 2017, with postgraduate activities in their field, paid or unpaid.
- Foreign nationals must enter the U.S. with a J-1 visa in the Intern or Trainee category or must be in compliance with the U.S. Department of State Requirements of the F-1 Visa Program.
- Students who are in F1 status when submitting a Getty internship application but who will have completed their studies (received their U.S. degree) before the start of the Getty internship, must allow for sufficient time outside the U.S. before applying for a J1 visa.
You are to submit your application by 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time on the 1st of November, 2019.
How to Apply
To apply for the Getty Graduate Internships for International Students in the USA, applicants are required to complete and submit the online Graduate Internship application. By making available the following documents:
- Personal Statement: It should consist of no more than 500 words (two double-spaced pages) that explain how your Getty internship selections (choose two in order of preference) fit with your background and career goals. Include the reasons for your choice of specific departments or programs for an internship. Also, describe what you hope to achieve from the experience and what you believe you can contribute.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae: Current resumes are required for all applicants. Please limit resumes to five pages.
- Transcript(s)/Academic Records: They require transcripts/academic records for undergraduate degree/s (completed) and graduate degree/s (completed or in progress). Multiple transcripts must be combined into a single PDF before uploading.
- Letters of Recommendation (2): Applicants must request two confidential letters of recommendation submitted directly by their recommenders through the application system.
Essentially, those who are to appropriately recommend you should come from the university faculty members who can address your academic performance. Others may include past or current employers in relevant fields who are familiar with your skills and abilities. F-1 visa holders are required to submit a copy of their I-20 form and proof that they will have enough OPT or CPT time to finish the Getty internship if selected.